Great Glen Rededication

Home » News » Great Glen Rededication
20170923_150204
20170923_150213
20170923_155944
20170923_160708

The great day (or rather 2 days = 1 weekend) has come and gone. We seem to have been waiting for it for so long and it feels as though it was over in a flash. But what an inspiration and a delight it was.

Saturday 23 September saw the Rededication Service conducted by our minister, Rev Fran Rhys, with Rev Edson Dube, the incoming Superintendent Minister of the Leicester Trinity Circuit, as our preacher. The church, already attractively and ingeniously decorated for harvest by June Murray and Elizabeth Gilbert, looked superb. In the presence of Councillor Grahame Spendlove-Mason, Chairman of Harborough District Council, our architect, John Dodson RIBA AABC of Parkinson Dodson of Tugby, and Mrs Vicki Dolphin of Leicestershire Historic Churches Trust, and various other distinguished guests who had helped us achieve our goal, a full congregation enjoyed a creative liturgy prepared by Fran and were inspired by a challenging sermon from Edson, as well as enthusiastically singing hymns and worship songs specially chosen for the occasion. We then happily made our way to the hall for delightful refreshments laid on by our caterer, Claire.

Sunday 24th dawned bright and warm but looking suitably autumnal, just right for Harvest Thanksgiving. The church was packed for an imaginative service which included a drama performed by members of 'Life' (our youth group) and a solo by Emma Davey as well as the usual ingredients. The singing of the well-loved harvest hymns and one or two more modern songs ably supported by our visiting organist, David Burley, (for whose help we are most grateful) could be heard in Oadby! This was followed by a delicious lunch provided by church members for themselves and their guests. In turn, lunch gave way to 'Open Church' in the afternoon for those who had been unable to make the service, when over 100 people came to admire the alterations and improvements and were offered tea, coffee and home-made cakes. Everyone exclaimed how lovely the church now looks, how warm and welcoming, and yet expressing reverence and a sense of God's presence, as well as being faithful to its historic context.

Our very grateful thanks are due to everyone who helped to make the weekend such an outstanding success, but above all we say: 'THANKS BE TO GOD!'

You may also be interested in

Stir-Up at South Wigston
Webteam: Wed 06 Dec 4:06pm

South Wigston Methodist Church made Christmas puddings on Sunday morning on 26 November, in a service which celebrated Stir-up Sunday, the last Sunday before Advent. The name 'stir-up Sunday', was taken because a traditional collect (prayer) for that Sunday (dating from 1549!) calls on God to 'stir up the wills of your faithful people that they, richly bearing the fruit of good...

Circuit service 15-10-17
Webteam: Wed 25 Oct 10:54am

In 1967 the Primitive (Countesthorpe Road) and Wesleyan (Blaby Road) churches in South Wigston decided to come together. Their first united service was held on 15th October 1967. The Countesthorpe Road church was sold and the money put towards remodelling the Wesleyan Church now known as Blaby Road Methodist Church. On 15th October this year (2017) we held a circuit service to commemorate...

Leicester Trinity Methodist Circuit
Webteam: Thu 20 Jul 9:40am

The alterations to the 1827 chapel at Great Glen are coming on apace. At present, it is difficult to see what the final result will be for dust and rubble, but already the interior is looking brighter and less cramped, the new and safer staircase to the gallery is in place and the external ramp for disabled access is taking shape. We are looking forward to being able to move in and enjoy the...

© 2017 Leicester Trinity

GS02