Webteam: October 2017
In 1967 the Primitive (Countesthorpe Road) and Wesleyan (Blaby Road) churches in South Wigston decided to come together. Their first united service was held on 15th October 1967. The Countesthorpe Road church was sold and the money put towards remodelling the Wesleyan Church now known as Blaby Road Methodist Church.
On 15th October this year (2017) we held a circuit service to commemorate '50 years of Christian Unity in South Wigston.' The service was led by Rev. Fran Rhys, with Rev. Arthur Rowe as the preacher.
In the afternoon the Mayor of Oadby & Wigston, Councillor Samia Haq, opened an exhibition about the two churches, local history and members' hobbies; the exhibition was open throughout the following week and attracted many visitors.
During the anniversary year former ministers were invited to preach and we were delighted to welcome Revs. Nutan Suray, Patricia Grudgings, Martin Smithson and David Palmer; Rev. Vincent Price also preached as he has a long association with the church.
Wigston Male Voice Choir, together with Welsh choir Pelenna Valley, gave a wonderful concert. The choir started at Blaby Road in 1972 and still rehearses there.
You may also be interested in
A service of thanksgiving for the life of the Rev'd Jack Hanson.20th August 1932 — 3rd December 2020Rev'd Jack Hanson's Funeralor click here to access direct from...
Methodist Churches Engagement OfficerThis a job advertisement for the Methodist Churches engagement officer, to help Methodist Churches engage with inter-faith issues, working for St. Phillip's...
The Northampton District Prayer Diary for 2020-2021 is now available to view and download http://www.northamptonmethodistdistrict.org.uk/content/pages/documents/159...